Published on October 21st, 2021 | by The GC Team0
Valve specialist PrimaLuna produces first hybrid amp
Dutch firm PrimaLuna, which has specialised in valve-based audio components for nearly two decades, is presenting its first ever valve/solid state hybrid amplifier, the EVO 300 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier.
The new amp is the result of a collaboration between PrimaLuna and Floyd Design – the solid-state design arm of Durob Audio, PrimaLuna’s parent company. PrimaLuna has designed the amp’s valve-based preamp stage; Floyd Design has created the solid-state power stage. The aim was to bring the best of both worlds to the audio experience, combining the warmth and fluidity of valves with the power and grip of solid-state circuitry.
The company believes the collaboration with Floyd Design has overcome difficulties inherent in engineering two different technological forms – each with its contrasting characteristics – over a two-year process that culminated in an optimum fusion of PrimaLuna’s valve expertise and Floyd Design’s experience in custom-designed MOSFETs (Metal Oxide Silicon Field Effect Transistors).
Characteristics of the PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier include:
- Properly engineered preamp stage with six hand-selected 12AU7 valves (2x input, 4x driver).
- Dual-mono solid-state power section incorporating paired JFETs from Linear Systems and specially manufactured MOSFETs, delivering 2x 100W into 8 ohms.
- Extensive hardwiring throughout the circuit design, and high-quality 2.5mm thick PCBs with 105 µm gold-plated copper tracks.
- Valve preamp stage with two power supplies with separate transformers; the solid-state power stage uses a dedicated 500VA transformer.
- All power supplies benefit from PrimaLuna’s AC Offset Killer circuit, ensuring that ‘DC on the mains’ never causes transformer hum.
- Six inputs (5x line-level RCA, 1x home cinema bypass) are provided. Other facilities include subwoofer and ‘tape’ outputs, a built-in headphone amp and an optional phono stage that attaches to the amp’s underside in a fully shielded sub-chassis.
The PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier is available to order from October, with a choice of black or silver front panel. Stock will be limited until production ramps up towards the end of 2021. UK RRP: £6,198 inc. VAT.